Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lovely Nurnberg Christmas Market

After a restful night, I awake at 11 a.m.  Yes, I haven't adjusted to the time change.  Our hostess, Eva, arrives back home with sausages and pretzels for an early lunch.  Traditionally, you also drink a beer with this meal.  However, we will be driving and walking through the Nurnberg Christmas Market.


Nurnberg Market
Marianne and I return to the market in the early afternoon.  The crowds today remind me of the large crowds Steve and I had in the mid-70s. Definitely more than the night before. We walk into St. ? church and decide to stay and participate in an Advent sing along with the organist in the church.





Old Time Post (Mail) Carriage
Brewing & Serving Gluhwein
Afterwards, we ride in a horse drawn Post carriage on the  streets around the market.  It's now evening and all of the lights, and the smell of brewing gluhwien, are bringing about that special German Christmas ambiance.


At the entrance to the market and in front of the cathedral, a big brass band is playing Advent music.

Having scouted out some of the booths the previous night, I am now ready to make a few special purchases.  I buy a few traditional smokers, small trees with ornaments and a doll for Lauren.


Marianne, Matt and Eva with Advent Wreath








Our hostess, Eva, is back at the house making dinner for us.  Upon our return, the house has the wonderful aroma of a pork roast--my favorite.  We enjoy a dinner together of  a tomato and cucumber salad, the roast with dumplings and carrots.  It was delicious.  Afterwards, we share the chocolate mousse kuchen that Marianne and I bought in town with warm gluhwein.  It's very special to be with a host family that is so warm and friendly. 


No comments:

Post a Comment