Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Mainz Christmas Market and Revisiting Our First Home


There is always something special about returning to where you first started your married life together. So much started here in Mainz Gonsenheim. Steve was a new Armor Officer and I was a Commanding General's Secretary. We had our first dogs, Lady and Alex, and we left here pregnant with our daughter, Melissa. Our parents were able to visit us and we enjoyed sharing our travels to different countries and cultures with them. All of this happened 35 years ago. How could that be—it seems like only yesterday. I drove around our city and knew where to go and how to get there. It hasn't changed much. You still take the Shierstiner bridge from Wiesbaden to Mainz. The Dom is where it's been for hundreds of years and the Hauptbaunhof hasn't moved or been renovated. Sure, the city has expanded and the ethnicity is somewhat different, but it is still Mainz.


Driving from Wurzburg to Oestrich-Winkel, up towards Rudesheim, was an easy drive. We're staying right on the Rhine River at Hotel Schwan. It's a very old hotel with lots of character. 

Restaurant Gruener Baum
Since their restaurant was closed, I walked up the street to Gruener Baum. I had a wonderful, final meal of Wiener Schnitzel. Upon ordering it, I could hear Norbert in the kitchen pounding it thin. Since I walked here, I was also able to enjoy a glass of local halp trocken Riesling wine—my favorite. Kerstin and Norbert inherited this very old structure and have spent a lot of money renovating it. It's a mere 400 years old and has been in their family since 1935. 


St. Martin Church Doors


On my walk back to the hotel, I went past several old, gabled houses and the towns's beautiful church. 

St. Martin
I took many pictures and suddenly felt ill about leaving. However, I'm already planning, in my head, when I will be returning. After all, miles need to be used up before they may be taken away!



Earlier in the day, we went to the the Mainz Christmas Market which was far beyond my expectations. Lights were strung from end to end forming a circle in the center.  It was a beautiful effect.


The market is in the Dom Platz and very large but not overwhelming. There was a nice variety of goods for sale. The traditional Christmas decorations (with good prices) along with items for gift giving.  And, of course, lots of gluhwein and hot liquor drinks to enjoy. 

On one end of the market, there was a enormous candle pyramind, while on the other end was a spinner. 

Weihnachtsmarkt Mainz: Hell erleuchtete Pyramide. (Quelle: Landeshauptstadt Mainz)The eleven metre (36') high Christmas pyramid is from the Ore Mountains in eastern Germany. Apart from the typical figures, such as an angel and Santa Claus, figures from the history of the city of Mainz are also represented. Thus Gutenberg and the Roman commander Drusus also go round in the circle here. You cannot overlook the pyramid, it stands directly at the centre of Höfchen square.




Nativity Scene Next to Dom
A particularly vivid representation of the Christmas story is the hand-carved crib which has been standing in front of the Romanesque St. Gotthard's chapel next to the cathedral since 1981. The life-sized figures made of limewood are unique in Europe and do not just impress children.








By the stage, St. Nicholas was greeting the children and giving out goodie bags.

I purchased a few last minute items and needed to purchase a larger, check-in suitcase at Woolworth., It's very basic, but will get the job done—transporting all my stuff. I guess I can take my clothes back after all.

Thanks to Marianne for her driving and deciphering German signs and myself for my planning and organizing, I believe we had a fairly successful and fun trip. We drove 2,816 kilometers and went to 14 Weihnachten Markets—Rothenburg ob der Tauber, Nuremberg, Bamberg, Regensburg, Salzburg, Innsbruck (twice), Ettal, Fuessen, Kempten, Garmisch, Munchen, Ingolstadt, Wurzburg and Mainz. . We purchased a lot, drank a little, ate and tasted here and there and laughed along the way. We enjoyed many celebrations and performances for the Advent Season. That is what Christmas is all about. Yes, we had a bumpy ride along the way, however, nothing is ever perfect. It is all a learning experience.

Now, I better get some sleep. I have a 10:30 flight and need to leave early so that I can call my husband from the airport. Otherwise, he may send the Polizei out to find me. Guten Nacht.

No comments:

Post a Comment