Thursday, December 1, 2011

Bavaria and All of Its Charms

Our Farmhouse in Unterammergau
I awake with the sun starting to peek over the mountains. (My apartment is in the top right of the house with the balcony looking right at the mountains)  It's only 8:30 and now it's time for a walk.  I make my way to the farm road and go right into the next little dorf (town) and group of farms.  I have always been intrigued at the layout of the traditional German farm house.  The front of the house is where the family lives and the rear of the house is where the livestock lives.  It is one complete structure. The family where we are staying was not home today.  I hope my hostess can take me around their farm tomorrow.

On the way back to the house, I see an open door to a small livestock hut and the horses inside are wanting me to come in and say hi.  These four horses are in their stalls chomping away at the hay their owner just gave them.  Herr Leis Mueller comes back into the hut and I greet him and ask if I can take pictures and what their names are.  I say hi to Fritz and Pia as they nudge my jacket.

Pia and Herr Leis Mueller
They are obviously very friendly and are used to people.  Herr Mueller then indicates he's going to let them out into the pasture and opens each one of their stalls.  These are large shouldered, strong horses which are bred for transporting wood from the forest and for pulling sleighs for sleigh rides.  When our hostess, Marianne, saw this picture of Herr Mueller, she thought that maybe he's already had a schnapps or two.   We told her it was early morning, however, she said that doesn't make a difference.   

Upon returning to the apartment, Marianne comes out of her room all dressed and ready to go.  What a change from the night before.

Typical German Breakfast

We find our breakfast room across the hall and enjoy the typical, but always wonderful, breakfast of a variety of brotchens, meat, cheese, yogurt, granola, soft boiled egg, fresh homemade jams and tea/coffee.
Our Breakfast Room

Marianne finds out I have internet and gets in touch with all of her friends and family.  I relax on my balcony and take in the views.  Every once in a while I hear the high screeching sound of the local train as it passes through the village down below.  You can also see people walking on the wanderwegs.

View from the Balcony



On our way out of our village, we stop and visit with some of the locals--cows that is.  This bull came right up to the electric fence to greet us.

Good Looking Bull
Marianne wants to visit Garmisch and go to some of the places she and her late husband, Al, used to go to.  We stop by the American Army Hotel Edelweiss.  Then we drive to the Eibsee Hotel which is on Lake Eibsee under the Zugspitze mountain.  We have a lovely, late lunch and try to decide what we are going to do today.  Garmisch's Christmas Market does not start until tomorrow, 2 December.  We're on our way back to Innsbruck.  On the side streets of  the market are several, two story high, fantasy Giants.

The Giant Haymon
Giant ?

Innsbruck Christkindlemkt
On our way, we drive through Lermoos.  During this time of year the town is shut down.  It is their shoulder season.  The restaurants and hotels will reopen the middle of December.  So far, this year, there is no snow.  They hope to get some next week after I leave.  It has been nice that we haven't had to deal with it.


We return to our apartment rather late.  We've had another full day.  Tomorrow Ettal's market opens in the courtyard of the Monastery.

No comments:

Post a Comment